I saw the teaser/trailer of the recently released limited series, Blood Sisters a while ago, and honestly I wasn’t so excited. It was giving typical Nollywood plot: ritualism, blood money and everything in-between, so I was immediately put off. But to my surprise, after seeing it everywhere on social media on its release day, I decided to watch it and it shook me.. in a good way. Here are 93 thoughts I had while watching the first episode.
Warning: Major spoilers ahead.
1. I’m settled in with my popcorn, let’s do this. Shall we?
2. The Iconic Netflix dun-dun sound. So it’s even a series? I thought it was a movie.
3. Oh, It’s produced by Ebonylife. Okay, not bad.
4. Ah. What are they burying?
5. Did this guy just use another key to unlock someone else’s car?
6. Okay, so this one has been hired to kill somebody. Let’s call him the assassin
7. The way this man is holding that pencil is proof he didn’t work on that drawing himself.
8. This guy just held a work meeting before heading to his wedding. Typical Yoruba man.
9. Is that a Helicopter? Okay, Nollywood – I see y’all!
10. If my groom doesn’t arrive at our wedding in a helicopter, fight will start.
11. I think we’re meeting the girls now: Kemi (Nancy Isime) and Sarah (Ini Dima Okojie.)
12. Nothing to see here. Just two pretty best friends hyping themselves up.
13. Some guy just kissed a woman on her neck. Let’s call that Plot 1.
14. The Yoruba man’s name is Kola (Deyemi Okanlawon) btw. He’s marrying Sarah.
15. He just told Sarah he doesn’t like the dress she’s wearing. Sarah likes it but she seems bothered that he doesn’t.
16. Not the best man (Daniel Etim Effiong) walking in wearing sunglasses where there is clearly no sun.
17. The assassin from earlier walks in to claim his room reservation. Plot 2.
18. Sarah changed her dress. I’m not sure how I feel about this one. She’s clearly unhappy sha.
19. They were not joking around with this cast quality! Veteran actors life and right.
20. Ah. Why did Kola kiss his mother (Kate Henshaw) on the lips like that? Ew.
21. Plot 1: The neck-kissing couple are related to the groom.
22. Plot 2: The assassin is at the wedding and he’s not even trying to blend in. He’s just frowning his face up and down.
23. There’s a guy named Kenny who is in love with Sarah. He just showed up at the wedding, begging her not to marry Kola. It’s giving subtle drama. I love it.
24. Kola is angry about Kenny. Hm I think he wants to hit Sarah.
25. He just did! Wow.
26. Unrelated, but the production quality of this series is top-notch.
27. I’m sensing Kola’s mother is wicked and both in-laws don’t get along.
28. Did Kola just give a heart felt speech to Sarah like he didn’t just hit her a few minutes ago? It’s a full blown abusive I got flowers today relationship.
29. Timeyin just said “who do I need to fuck to get a drink around here?”. I like her character already.
30. Kola just gave his mum ANOTHER inappropriate kiss on the lips. Something is fishy.
31. Kemi’s pink jumpsuit is giving!
32. Apparently, Kola beats up Sarah regularly. Kemi is not having it. She seems like such a good friend, I’m liking their friendship so far.
33. Yes! call off the damn wedding.
34. Ramsey Nouah hasn’t said one line. But I have a feeling his character will be intense.
35. Is Sarah calling off the wedding?
36. Wow. Sarah’s mom (Uche Jumbo) just basically told her to endure abuse from Kola because his family is rich.
37. I am in as much shock as Sarah right now.
38. It’s the wedding day.
39. Loving the purple agbada, Kola.
40. Wait, Toke Makinwa is here to cause drama. Go girl.
41. There are about 50 cooks in this kitchen and I’m not even exaggerating.
42. Where are they running to.. Kola and the assassin with a gun.
43. Still running.
44. Why is this assassin vibrating like small gen?
45. They are fighting now.
46. How did he headbutt Kola like that and his fila didn’t move an inch. So many secrets to learn from these Yoruba men.
47. They really broke fire extinguisher.
48. Someone get this live band singer some sore throat medicine. Why is he singing like that?
49. Nigerian tailors are about to have quite the month recreating asoebi styles from this scene.
50. Sarah! I’ve seen beauty before, but this a discovery.
51. Why do Yoruba men remove their cap when they are about to lie?
52. Kola, is it by force to marry?
53. Sarah: “I’m not marrying you!” Kola: *Aggressively* “You will marry me!”
54. He’s choking her to death!!??
55. He’s choking her to death???????
56. Okay, Kemi walks in.
57. Break his head Kemi!
58. OMG. I was joking please.
59. Kemi just killed Kola.
60. I see the plot now.
61. This is about to get ugly.
62. “Check his pulse”? Girl, please. He’s clearly dead.
63. Bad boy Kola is actually dead.
64. Who is that one knocking on the door now?
65. These babes just used a white duvet to cover the dead body. Fugitives and serial killers are shaking in confusion.
66. Kemi’s fake smile is so convincing.
67. The guests are all looking for Kola now.
68. How you look right now is the least of your worries, Kemi!
69. Chike writes the most beautiful love songs.
70. Brilliant acting and dancing Sarah. Like a man didn’t just die in your presence 5 minutes ago.
71. I’m screaming. Who is she supposed to give the kolanut to now?
72. Oh sorry, it’s palmwine.
73. This soundtrack is making me anxious.
74. Akin, the best man, announces that Kola is missing.
75. Not Sarah playing the “my husband is missing” pity party. Bring this girl an Emmy award.
76. Kemi and Sarah are panicking now.
77. As they should.
78. Why is Kemi gathering knives from the kitchen? OMG is she going to slaughter him?
79. They are both dressed in black bin bags and they still look gorgeous.
80. Yé. They are actually going to cut him into pieces.
81. Lesson 1: When slaughtering a dead body, always start with the head. Not that you’re ever going to need this information.
82. I need a drink too Kemi.
83. Kola’s phone is ringing?
84. The blood splatter scene looks so real. Who directed this series?
85. These babes are just casually carrying a slaughtered dead body through a parking lot.
86. This security guard reminds me of a co-worker I used to have. Very annoying.
87. Shit. A press guy just saw the girls carrying the body and he took pictures.
88. He’s following them? Okay he’s not.
89. He’s definitely changing it for his mechanic tomorrow morning.
90. The girls are burying the body. Oh this is the scene from the beginning!
91. Kemi is really digging like she has prior experience.
92. That’s it? That’s the end?
93. Episode 2 please, immediately!
I have to say, I am extremely proud of Nollywood right now. I’m loving this series so far!