There are only a few things as dopamine-inducing as a skincare haul. From watching your most trusted influencers try them out on Instagram to paying the vendor and waiting for your order, buying new skincare is like a personal, enjoyable escape into new self-care rituals. But not every skincare buy gets to be part of your next skincare haul, and not every product gets repurchased. Some products may be too tacky, harsh, or ineffective. But a few are good enough to become holy grails in your routine.
Here at 21 Mag, we’re forever curious about the beauty essentials women can’t get enough of, so for 2023, we asked 15 women what their favourite and most repurchased skincare essentials were.
P.S. The replies just might convince you to try something that has been in your cart for ages.
Sophie | Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Face Cream
For Sophie, hydration is vital. And that’s why the Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Face Cream has been her favourite skincare product for months.
- What Sophie loves: “It’s literally the most hydrating moisturizer I’ve ever used. It makes my skin feel supple, and I always have a glow when using it.”
- She recommends this to anyone who needs hydration but isn’t on a tight budget. “It’s a great product, sure, but it’s also pretty pricey.”
Unoma | COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner
Anyone with sensitive skin knows the struggle of finding products that are gentle but still effective enough to help with their skin concerns. For Unoma, that product is the COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner.
- What Unoma loves: “My skin didn’t react to it. And it’s also a good setting spray.”
- She recommends this to anyone with sensitive skin.
Atinuke | Bondi Sands Fragrance-Free Aerosol Mist SPF 50+
Atinuke never leaves the house without sun protection, but sunscreen that doesn’t leave any of that dreaded white cast can be tricky to find, especially for darker-skinned girls. This is why the Bondi Sands spray sunscreen is at the top of her loved list.
- What Atinuke loves: “It’s amazing, really. I have dry skin, so I need extra moisture. I also love a “shiny” finish, too, and it does that. It’s hydrating, contains SPF 50+ UVA and UVB protection, leaves no white cast, and lasts long. Maybe because it’s a spray—value for your money.”
- She recommends this to anyone with dry skin or who wants to skip moisturizer on a hot, sweaty day.
Tosin | COSRX Snail Mucin 96% Power Repairing Essence
Tosin is a dry-skinned girlie who absolutely loves hydration, and she appears to have found it with the Cosrx snail mucin-repairing essence.
- What Tosin loves: “I used to have dry patches on my face, which I got from sunburns, and this hydrating serum has been that girl for me! The Cosrx all-in-one moisturizer is my next buy sha.”
- She recommends this to anyone with dry patches of skin on their face or whose skin feels tight in certain areas.
Blessing | TIAM Vita B3 Source
Dullness had always been a skin concern for Blessing until she met the TIAM Vita B3 Source with 10% Niacinamide and Arbutin for texture and hyperpigmentation.
- What Blessing loves: “I love how it makes my skin look glowy and healthy.”
- She recommends this to anyone struggling with dull skin.
Bubuu | Nivea Refreshingly Soft Moisturizing Cream
Finding a face moisturizer that keeps your skin hydrated while not feeling heavy may seem tough. Still, Bubuu has the perfect one: Nivea Refreshingly Soft Moisturizer for Face and Body.
- What Bubuu loves: “I have dry skin that got irritated and drier due to an anti-acne tube cream I was using (mostly for skin brightening, lol). The moisturizer was soothing and helped to bring that moisture and sheen back to my face!”
- She recommends this to girls with dry to normal skin.
Dorah | COSRX Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser
For Dorah, cleansing her skin properly is a non-negotiable in her routine. As such, she’s always on the lookout for the most gentle yet effective formulas, which she found with the CORSX Low pH Cleanser.
- What Dorah loves: “The cleanser is just perfect for my skin as it’s really mild.”
- She recommends this to girls with normal to combination skin.
Tammy | Supergoop! Glow Oil SPF 50
Sunscreen reapplication can be quite a chore. But with spray and stick sunscreens like Tammy’s Supergoop Glow Oil, it is way easier to stay protected.
- What Tammy loves: “I genuinely enjoy the fact that it’s a spray-on sunscreen; of course, it’s an oil, so it gives a glowy finish, and there’s no white cast. As a black woman, that’s definitely a fave!”
Catherine | Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Fighting Facial Cleanser + Skin Aqua UV Super Moisture Gel Sunscreen
Catherine’s 2023 favourites include a face wash she claims helped fade her dark spots and a sunscreen that’s impossible to sweat out.
- What Catherine loves: “If you have dark spots left from acne, get that Neutrogena face wash! The face wash helps to fade my blackheads and dark spots, and it’s always my go-to product. I just started trying the Skin Aqua sunscreen; it’s matte on immediate application, drys quickly, and although I sweat when the sun is out, it doesn’t like to leave a white residue or anything, so I like it. It also doesn’t sting after applying, so it’s been good so far.”
- She recommends both to anyone who has normal to combination skin and also sweats a lot.
Vivian | CeraVe Hydrating Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50 Face Lotion
While some people love their multistep routine, others prefer all-in-one products. CeraVe’s Hydrating Mineral Sunscreen is top of her list as it combines sun protection with proper hydration.
- What Vivian loves: “It soothes my skin, keeps it hydrated, and I haven’t had any complications with it”
- She recommends this to anyone trying to avoid the white cast after sunscreen application.
Onyekachi | Topicrem CICA Soothing Cream
Any skincare head knows that the one thing you do not mess with is your moisture barrier. But sometimes pollution or sun exposure still manages to damage your barrier. To combat this and keep her barrier in check, Onyekachi uses Topicrem’s CICA soothing cream.
- What Onyekachi loves: “I have really sensitive skin, and this is the only thing I’ve tried that helps with the constant itchy rashes. For me, it’s literally an elixir in a tube.”
- She recommends this to anyone with sensitive skin.
Rose | Vaseline Intensive Care Even Tone Body Lotion
Rose’s facial routine might be simple, but she does not play about her body care or her Vaseline.
- What Rose loves: “It blends easily into my skin, leaving it shiny, bright, and soft for over 12 hours. It also has SPF, so it doubles as a sunscreen.”
- She recommends this to people who are not religious with their skincare routines because it works on all skin types and requires minimal effort.
Yetunde | Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Gel
While Tammy loves that Supergroup has more of a shimmery finish, matte lovers like Yetunde have the Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Gel as their affordable and effective alternative.
- What Yetunde loves: “I love the glow and the matte finish I get after applying this sunscreen and also the compliments.”
- She recommends this to girlies with oily skin or acne-prone skin.
Mmesoma | TONYMOLY Wonder Ceramide Mochi Toner
Glass skin, dolphin skin, and satin skin. Well, how about mochi skin? TONYMOLY Wonder Ceramide Mochi Toner is at the top of Mmesoma’s list, and here’s why.
- What Mmesoma loves: “It’s super hydrating and can be used to moisturize on its own, without any other moisturizer on top. True to its claims, it really does give mochi-like skin.”
- She recommends this to anyone who loves layering on hydrating products.
Chioma | Ezanic Azelaic Acid 20% Gel
We said it — azelaic acid is way too good to be so underrated. And Chioma agrees with her constant repurchase of the Ezanic Azelaic Acid 20% Gel.
- What Chioma loves: “Its versatility in my routine. It has also reduced my acne a lot.”
- She recommends this to people like me with acne-prone skin.